Though our days may be growing shorter, the list of things we need to do to prepare our homes for the impending drop in temperature only grows longer. And though the month of October may be known for delivering all sorts of delightful frights, Ha-Ra would like to assure you, there is nothing to fear in cleaning and protecting your most prized possessions with Ha-Ra’s full family of ultra-powerful, all-natural cleaning components.
This is the first half of our comprehensive list of what you can do to prepare for the change in seasons, from Autumn to Winter, and details what can be done outside of the home:
1. Check that all exterior doors and windows properly close.
2. Check weather-stripping and/or caulking on all exterior doors and windows, and clean, repair, and/or replace as needed.
3. Check exterior paint for flaking and/or peeling, and clean and/or touch up as needed.
Ha-Ra Blue Paste is an ideal cleaning agent to help with external surfaces, and doesn’t rely on harsh chemicals to get the job done. First, wipe a slightly damp Ha-Ra cloth, or any Ha-Ra cleaning agent, over the Ha-Ra Blue Paste and once a foam is created use the suds to clean any grimy surface. Rinse the surface with a clean Ha-Ra cloth or glove to remove all Ha-Ra Blue Paste and then gently rub dry. Increasing the cleaning power of all Ha-Ra fiber containing cleaning devices, Ha-Ra Blue Paste contains a micro-fine marble blend, chalk, and is nearly one-fifth pure soap stone and other natural substances, including but not limited to citral and limestone.
4. Power-wash all exterior windows and siding.
A perfect all-in-one solution to cleaning windows, whether in the home or outside of it, is the Ha-Ra Window Cleaning Kit. For use everywhere from greenhouses to birdhouses, car mirrors to compact mirrors, the Ha-Ra Window Cleaning Kit is an all-natural, water efficient alternative to common chemical cleaners. The Cleaning Kit contains:
- Ha-Ra Green Glove, to clean window frames
- Ha-Ra Star Cloth, for a streak-free finish
- 12.6” Ha-Ra Specialized Window Squeegee, for window panels
- Ha-Ra Rollfix, for use with the Squeegee
5. Check and clean gutters and downspouts. Consider installing heating cables to prevent ice dams.
6. Clean and cover exterior furniture, children’s toys, umbrellas, and/or other outdoor items.
7. Store any items not in use in the Autumn and/or Winter.
8. Install insulating covers on exterior spigots.
9. Inspect, drain, and store garden hoses.
10. Schedule sprinkler systems to be blown free of water.
11. Check and clear dryer exhaust pipe.
12. Clean outdoor light fixtures and replace any faulty bulbs.
An innovative use of the Ha-Ra Eyeglass Cloth is the handling and cleaning of any exterior light fixtures and/or light bulbs in or around your home. The Eyeglass Cloth will remove fingerprints, dust, or greasy residue and works without water to help handle delicate glass fixtures that are ornamental, practical, or a mixture of both.
13. Drain water heater to remove sediment and schedule a furnace inspection.
14. Clean vehicles in preparation to be stored in the Autumn and/or Winter.
15. Prepare vehicles to be used in the Autumn and/or Winter.
16. Vacuum the inside of your vehicle.
17. Change windshield wipers, if applicable.
18. Add temperature appropriate wiper fluid, if applicable.
Ha-Ra Star Cloth is the perfect way to clean anything inside any of your vehicles prior to the start of harsh Winter months. The Ha-Ra Star Cloth is hand-made in Europe and is an incredibly absorbent, dual-purpose cleaning/polishing cloth that can be used dry or slightly damp. For use on all surfaces, clean a dashboard as easy as a side mirror, and just as well. Made of a 3:1 polyester, polyamide blend, the Ha-Ra Star Cloth will leave surfaces streak-free and with proper care, will last this and many more seasons to come
19. Clean grill.
20. Fill propane tank if used in the Autumn and/or Winter.
21. Drain and clean the pool, if you have one!
22. Store any pool related items not in use in the Autumn and/or Winter.
23. Inspect and clean chimneys and flues.